Man, oh man, I wish I could have learned this earlier. Can you think of how many years worrying steals from us? It’s ridiculous. I’ve worried about everything under the sun. Literally. Okay, maybe I’m exaggerating, but I have spent a sizable amount of time worrying when I could have been doing something else. I’ve worried about whether or not there will be sun or if it will rain. I’ve worried about whether people will show up or what will happen if too many people come. I’ve worried about how people will talk about me or if they’ll ignore me. All at the same time. There will always be things to worry about. There will always be insecurities that we have to answer for and questions that confuse us, but neither of those get the power to dictate how we choose to respond.
What’s your first response to stress? Is it to breathe in deeply and exhale slowly? Is it to encourage yourself with positive affirmations and read scripture to help you calm down or is to pick up the phone and call your best friend to vent? Is it to become defensive and act as if none of it matters anyway? Personally, I’ve chosen all of the above to help me cope with hard things, but there is one strategy that has brought so much peace to my life, it’s incredible. Worship.
Worship is that thing you do when you want to voice your admiration for God, and it’s the thing that has been helping me through the current season in my life, which has been incredibly full. Have you ever tried it? It helps me to put all of my problems, worries, and struggles into perspective, especially when I can’t figure them out. We all experience times when we have done everything that we possibly could have, and even though there’s nothing else we can do, there are a ton of things we can find to worry about.
I’m going to challenge you to worship beyond the worry, just like the Holy Spirit continues to challenge me daily. If you are questioning where to start, that’s what I’m here for.
- Take a deep breath. I’m sorry. I know it sounds cliche, but it’s important. You’ve got to slow down. You’ve got to pause. If you don’t, you’ll run yourself down and lose all of your emotional energy caught up in the same cycle that’s been stifling your creativity for days now.
- Begin to remind yourself who God is. He’s the Creator of the Universe, Maker of Heaven and Earth, Author of Your Life’s Story, Lover of Your Eternity, Savior of Your Soul. He’s omnipotent. He has all power. He’s omnipresent. He’s everywhere at once. He’s omniscient. Nothing will ever catch him off guard or throw him for a loop. When you remember the God you serve, you also remember that you have the benefit of being the recipient of His gifts as His child. If He’s chosen to withhold something that you wanted for a moment (even if it’s an answer), it’s going to work together for your good. It’s going to make you stronger. It’s going to make you smarter. It’s going to make you better.
- Read scripture over yourself and replace the pronouns with your name. One of my favorites is Jeremiah 17:7-8.
- Pray. Need help? I’ve got you. Just read the prayer below (or type your own in the comments to help us).
- Repeat! As often as needed.
Dear God, in the name of Jesus, I thank You for Your love. There is no one else that I would rather share my life with. There is no one else that I would rather dedicate my time to. There is no one else that I would rather look up to. There is no one else that I would rather dance in front of. There is no one else that I would rather love on. There is no one else that I would rather enjoy. Whatever it is that You want to teach me, however it is that You want to move, I am here to learn and yield to you. I praise You, I honor You, and I thank You. For you are worthy to be praised! You are a good, good Father, and I bless Your holy name. You are incomparable, indescribable, and wonderful in all of your ways. I need the peace that you promise in Your word that exceeds my understanding. You told me not to be afraid because You never gave me a spirit of fear. You gave me power, love, and a sound mind so right now, I’m asking that you help me to remember that. Every good and perfect thing comes from you so I bless Your holy name and worship You beyond everything that is worrying me. I don’t know what the outcome is going to be, but I do know that You know all of my needs way before I know them myself. I put my trust in You again. I honor the choices that You make for me. I accept the process and I bless you for the wisdom that you’ve chosen to give me in all of this. Amen!
Love you guys! Hope this helps. If there’s something else that helps you, I’d love to know!